Rifugio Nuvolau is located on the top of Mount Nuvolau at 2.575 metres, in the municipality of Cortina d’Ampezzo and can only be reached on foot.
There are many starting points: reachable by car, bus, bike, shuttle bus or chairlift:
– from Fedare, (the west side of Passo Giau) in July and August a chairlift goes up to Rifugio Averau, 2.413 meters, from there going up along the path 439 you can reach Rifugio Nuvolau in about ½ hour;
– from Bain de Dònes another chairlift, open from June to September, takes you to Rifugio Scoiattoli, from where path 439 leads in 1 hour and ¼ to Rifugio Nuvolau;
– from Rifugio Cinque Torri along trail 439 you will reach Rifugio Nuvolau in about 1 ½ hours;
– from Passo Falzarego: take path 441 and then path 439, walking time about 2 ¼ hours;
– from Bain de Dònes on foot: take path 424, turn right onto path 425 and then path 439; walking time about 2 ¾ hours;
– from Passo Giau: take path 452, then path 464 and finally path 439; walking time approx. 2 ¼ hours;
– from Passo Giau passing by Rifugio Cinque Torri: take path 443, then path 439 to reach Rifugio Nuvolau in about 2 ¾ hours;
– from Rifugio Fedare: take path 464 and then path 439, walking time about 2 ½ hours.
– from Rucurto: along path 437 and then path 439, total time about 3 hours.
– from Fodom/Livinallongo: between Andraz and Piani di Falzarego, in front of the junction to Ciastél, trail 441 starts, then along trail 439 you reach Rifugio Nuvolau in about 3 ¾ hours.
– There is also a short Via Ferrata which leads to our Rifugio: starting from Passo Giau, take path 443 for ¾ hour and then path 438 of the “Ra Gusela” ferrata which leads directly to the Rifugio. The necessary equipment is required. Walking time: 2 hours.